Winterize External Plumbing SystemsNovember 28th 2006
This is the most important job if you live in areas that freeze in the winter. The simple fact that water expands uwhen frozen has caused countless problems for homeowners when temperatures dip below zero. Ignore this job and you could be faced with flooding, water damage and thousands of dollars worth of plumbing bills. Unfortunately, many homeowners wait until snow hits the ground before they take these steps to protect their home:
- - Drain exterior water pipes and any pipes that run through unheated areas (such as a garage, crawlspace or unheated porch). If draining these pipes isn't possible, wrap them with foam insulation or heat tape.
- - Drain and store garden hoses.
- - Drain underground sprinkler systems.
- - Have outdoor pools drained and professionally serviced.
- - Don't forget! Have a snow shovel and de-icing salt on stand by for when you need it.