What type of insulation is best for these areas in my home?

October 3rd 2007
What type of insulation is best for these areas in my home?

Q. We have just replaced the furnace in our 20-year-old home and now we would like to upgrade the insulation in our attic and possibly basement. Currently, our attic has the blown in cellulose and our basement is finished but the walls feel cool and we are unsure of what type of insulation is behind the drywall. What type of insulation would you recommend for these areas to make it more energy efficient or is it necessary to upgrade the insulation in a home of this age.

A. Many older homes have less insulation than homes built today or have been built with what's required by the minimum building code. To begin, you must determine how much insulation you already have and how much is required to make your home more energy efficient. The amount and type of insulation you need depends on many factors including the type of heating you use and the area of the home you plan to insulate.

Today there are several different types of insulation materials including foam, fiberglass, cellulose, and mineral wool. Roxul produces a mineral wool insulation that is fire resistant; water repellent and it won't promote mold growth. I would suggest you contact a qualified energy advisor to perform an energy evaluation of your home.

This could also qualify you for the ecoENERGY Retrofit grant that is available through the federal government. An energy audit of your house will not only identify the amount of insulation you have and need, but will also recommend other improvements as well. You can contact the HouseSmart Office for more information at 604.542.2236.