Spring Clean Up - Where to BeginApril 21st 2011
Purge, Purge, Purge: If you don't use it, get rid of it. It is not too late to plan a garage sale but they do take time and effort. Sometimes it's faster and easier to give items to charity or there are Junk Removal Services that will drop off a bin or take the items away for you.
- Recycle your clutter: It may be tempting to toss your clutter in the nearest waste bin, but with a little extra effort you may be able to discard them in a way that won't burden the environment. There are various options available to you so you can safely dispose of: small appliances, paints, smoke detectors, pesticides and flammable liquids through ReGeneration.ca
Organizations that recycle used items
- Habitat for Humanity ReStores: Accept quality used building materials with many locations across Canada
- Recycle Batteries & Cell Phones: www.call2recycle.ca
- Categorize before you organize: Separate items into categories like tools, gardening, automotive, sports equipment and camping equipment.
- Maximize your vertical space: Once you've organized, install cabinets, hooks and racks and purchase clear bins for an easy way to find your items. Built-ins, such as cabinets, shelves and overhead units, are especially helpful to keep items accessible and off the ground.
- Ventilation: Keep the air clean and get the moisture out. In your garage or shed there is a device called the www.wizzvent.com. It was designed to control excess humidity and reduce contaminated air and pollutants.
- Keep it safe: Store flammable products and household chemicals (weed killers, pesticides) away from heat sources and where they cannot spill. Keep them in a safe cupboard if they are not able to be stored in an outside shed.
- Do not forget the floors - Seal your concrete floor with "Aquaseal" from www.cloverdalepaint.com. You may even want to consider using a sealer stain to make your garage more appealing.
- Shell Buseys Home Cleaning Formula - Removes algae, mildew, dirt, grease, and stains from all types of awnings, decks, garages, concrete, and asphalt surfaces. Cleans and Brightens stucco, vinyl and aluminum siding, exterior shutters, soffits, fascia, gutters, and down pipes. Also for interior use: paint preparation, walls, floors, countertops, kitchens, bathrooms and ceramic tile.
- Put items that you want to keep but do not need access too often such as Christmas decorations in storage. There are services available that will bring containers to your home and take them to a storage facility once you have loaded them.