Dryer Venting Vital to OperationJanuary 30th 2012
If your dryer venting is obstructed by lint and other debris, your dryer must work harder to dry your clothes due to a lack of proper volume airflow. Any restriction can cause your dryer to overheat, turn itself off prematurely or require multiple cycles in order to dry your clothes. This can double or even triple normal drying times, which can cost you more to dry your clothes, and more importantly is a fire hazard.
By maintaining clean dryer venting you reduce the risk of fire, save money on energy costs and prolong the life of your dryer.
Any of the following symptoms could indicate a problem with your dryer venting:
- A full load of laundry takes more than fifty minutes to dry.
- Your dryer shuts off prematurely and your clothes are still damp.
- The top of your dryer becomes hot to the touch.
- Lint gathers on the inside of your dryers door.
- Your house or laundry room is excessively dusty.
- Your dryer emits a burning smell while in use.
- Your outside dryer exhaust vent appears obstructed.
- Kinked plastic dryer vent hose behind the dryer obstructing airflow.
If you're buying a new dryer, having your venting cleaned will insure the new dryer functions properly. This is also the ideal time to convert your old vent hose from plastic to metal flexible ducting.
Once a year, disconnect the moisture exhaust duct from the dryer and clean it out. It should be free of lint, dust and pet hair and should be completely round (not kinked) to ensure that products of combustion (if it is a natural gas dryer) and warm moist air are effectively exhausted to the outside.
Go outside and check that the duct opening is clear and that your flapper is moving freely. Birds and small animals have been known to live in them. Placing wood or equipment in front of the duct can block the vent causing the moveable shutters to be plugged with lint.
Alpha Carpet and Duct Cleaners, a member of Shell Busey's Home Service referral network, specialises in the visual inspection, cleaning and repair of dryer venting systems.