Tips to Prepare Your Home for Extended Holidays - October 7th 2016
If you're one of the lucky few going away this winter for an extended vacation, you will need take care of a few things around the home before taking off.
- - Have someone check in.
- - Shut off water system by turning off the pump or shutting the valve if on city water. Drain the pressure tank.
- - Add 1 tbs. of vegetable oil in toilet and cover with saran wrap. Evaporation in toilets and drains can result in sewer smell.
- - Force as much water as possible out of traps with a plunger. Check for traps in these locations: Kitchen sink, bathroom sinks, bathtub and/or shower drains, toilets, floor drains and maybe sump pump.
- - Pour 1 tsp oil into drains. Drain in basement: punch small hole in large juice tin and let drip over drain.
- - Turn hot water tank to vacation setting.
- - Shut off water supply to clothes washer. Disconnect electrical supply.
- - Put a litre of water in dishwasher and clothes washer.
- - Shut off any outdoor faucets. Drain them by closing the inside valve and opening the outside faucet.
- - Drain humidifier, which is located in the furnace.
- - Leave the thermostat set at not less than 16 degrees Celsius.
- - Defrost fridge, remove meats and dairy products.