Shell Busey Blog - How To Soundproof A Basement SuiteMay 3rd 2017
Shell Busey's OmBuseyMan Blog - How To Soundproof A Basement Suite
Shell Busey has more than 50 years of home improvement industry experience under his (tool) belt; including over 25 years as a radio program host, and 118 episodes of his Home Check television program, he continues to deliver the how-to, what-to, where-to, why-to, when-to, and who-to of home improvement with him OmBuseyMan Blog.
1. Block off all forced air heating ducts (stuff with fibreglass batts in plastic bags) into basement suite and install convection heaters in the suite.
2. Install R20 Batt insulation up tight against the upper sub floor plywood (install around electrical wiring).
3. Apply Donna conna board or sound board to the bottom of the floor joists.
4. Apply Sound Bar (Resilient Channel 16” centres over Donna conna).
5. Apply 5/8” drywall to sound bar, tape and fill.
NOTE: If your home is forced air heat, it is advisable to use an alternate heating source for the basement to stop transfer of sound up through the duct system. This is done by terminating your ducts into the basement area.