Replacing expansion joints in concrete driveways - June 12th 2007

Q. I recently repaired cracks in a concrete driveway. The wooden strips between the slabs of concrete on the driveway are deteriorating. Is it best to replace the wood strips or is there a better solution. What kind of wood should I use if I end up replacing the strips?

A. To Replace wood expansion strips it's best to use pressure treated lumber. Use 1x4 treated lumber and masonry sand. Place the 1x4 in the joint and wash sand in and around the 1x4 on both sides. This will stabilize the 1x4 in place and the pressure treated wood will last for years.

It's Just That Easy

Shell Busey