Protecting Your Home - Home Security Tips - November 22nd 2016
Whether you live in an apartment or house be sure to leave your home secure by addressing a few key areas including lighting, landscaping and alarms. Here are a few valuable tips:
- - Front and back doors should be secured with double cylinder dead bolts. This will help prevent the door from being unlocked from the inside if glass in the door or window next to it is broken.
Note: If you have double cylinder deadbolts you should leave the key in the cylinder during the night time hours in case an emergency arises and you have to get out of the house quickly. You don't want to have to search for your keys during an emergency.
- - Windows in doors as well as sidelights next to doors should have security window film applied to stop the smash and grab intruder. Security film is clear, can be installed by the homeowner and can be obtained at most building supply stores. The security film will retain the glass in the frame even though it has been broken is a helpful deterrent. If you are replacing the glass in these areas for any reason, specify laminated glass.
- - Lower main floor windows should have window security buttons installed so partially opened windows cannot be lifted out of their tracks. Security buttons can be installed at the top and bottom of windows to give double security.
- - Basement windows should be laminated glass or have security film applied and be double locked with security buttons. Do not pile belongings under windows. They can give a foothold for unwanted entry.
- - Porch lighting and garage security lighting with motion sensors act as good deterrents illuminating areas of possible entry.
- - Garden lighting should be attached to a timer shutting them off at a reasonable hour to darken areas of temptation.
- - Garage doors can be made more secure by adding an automatic garage door opener. Openers with rolling codes give access to only those who have the transmitter and allow entry and closing without having to leave the vehicle. Most models include a lighting timer to allow you to walk from the vehicle to the house entry door before the light goes off.
- - These are all economical ways to secure your home. You may wish to consider taking the extra steps to install security bars, security storm doors or an electronic security system that is monitored round the clock.
To have a security company come to your home, call our office at 604.542.2236.