Getting rid of mold caused by moisture - May 8th 2000



Question from: Kate
Canoe, BC

Dear Shell,

I live in an older house across the street from Shuswap Lake, just outside of Salmon Arm, BC. In the late winter, my basement flooded when the warmer weather started. For the last couple of months I have had small pools of water in various parts of the basement. Now, all the water has evaporated, but I have white cone shape mold growing throughout the areas that were wet. It almost looks like someone has thrown flour over the floor. My question is how to get rid of this type of mold? What kind of product do you suggest that will be environmentally friendly and inexpensive?

Thanks, Kate

Dear Kate,

The water has caused the cement in the concrete to blossom (efflorescence). Wash the powder up with T.S.P. and rinse well. Acid wash concrete with muriatic acid 5 parts water to 1 part acid (follow safety instructions). Rinse and allow to dry. Using a low pressure garden sprayer apply 2 coats of solvent based concrete water sealer egg. Evercrete for info call 1-800-661-2444.

Itís just that easy.

Shell Busey