Getting Rid Of Bathroom Mold - November 9th 2005


Getting Rid Of Bathroom Mold


Q: I know you have answered many questions regarding bathroom molds but I have one more. We are having problems with mold growing around our caulking and in the grout between the tiles in two of our bathrooms. Both bathrooms have exhaust fans which are run for at least 45 minutes each time someone showers/bathes. I have been spraying a combination of bleach, laundry detergent, and water, which helps a little bit, but then it reappears and now seems to be even tougher to get off. My in-laws lived in this house for 20 years before us and as far as know never experienced this problem. It's looking like we will recaulk where needed but even as we have peeled away some of it there is black mold firmly in place that can't even be scraped off. The grout is another concern as re-tiling the shower stall is not in the budget. Is it harmful to breathe in the area and/or are there other health concerns relating to this type of mold? And how do I get rid of it?




A: The black spore that grows or forms in and around a bathtub is caused by a lack of drying the shower and bath after each usage. A good practise is to towel the entire area down after every shower or at least the last person out of the shower should do it. You'll be surprised as to who wants to shower first. Then leave the bathroom fan running for at least an hour per bath or shower with the door open to the bathroom. Timers or de-humidistats are a great investment for the proper operation of your bathroom fans. To get rid of the spore you must keep the moisture down and use proper ventilation. Dealing with the problem using bleach is not the answer. Use the It's Just That Easy grout and ceramic cleaner available from Windsor Plywood.

It's just that easy.

Shell Busey