Shopping for a Moving CompanyMarch 14, 2002
Today most consumers shop for price and there’s always a sale somewhere. However when you are shopping for a moving company to ship your possessions, you first want to shop for reputation and experience. The following guidelines will help you make an educated choice on what moving companies you will invite to provide estimates for relocation.
- Talk to your neighbours, friends and associates. Recommendations and insights to the local moving industry can help you rule out companies that don’t live up to their advertising.
- Don’t deal with any company that is not licensed. A licensed company should also be able to demonstrate that it carries worker’s compensation insurance to protect the company and its customers.
- When you contact the licensing authority, ask if the company has been in good standing for several years. You don’t want a company that lost its license and is now operating under a new name. Here, you need to know the names of the owner(s) to track their license history.
- Visit the local moving company office and talk to the owner. If you can only take the time to talk to an owner by phone, ask about the firms experience and client list. If the list includes corporate clients for executive relocations services, call the client contact to verify references.
- Consumers who have disputes with moving companies usually file complaints with local business bureaus or associations. Call your local Better Business Bureau to determine if the company has any outstanding complaints.
- Most reputable moving companies are members of local or national moving trade associations. Ask the mover if they are members of any associations and contact them for further information.
- Never, never, invite anyone into your home for a cost estimate until you have performed the above six steps. Don’t be tempted by persuasive telemarketers with empty promises. Take the time to protect yourself, your belongings and most importantly, your family.
for more certified home service providers
Heritage walking tours, workshops and lectures all coming up in the next two weeks
Date: April 15 2014
Shell will be on stage at the PG Home Show & Energy Fair April 26 & 27
Date: April 26 2014
Shell on Location at the 3rd Annual 50+ EXPO FREE ADMISSION
Date: May 10 2014