Saving money on your energy billSeptember 1, 2000
What can I do to reduce the impact of the residential gas rate increase on my gas bill?
Here are some suggestions to help you save energy and money:
1. Every degree that you set your thermostat lower will help you save on your heating costs. For example, set your thermostat to 20'C (68'F) when you're home and to 15'C (60'F) when you go to bed or when you're away from home. Tip: Install a programmable thermostat – it will easily pay for itself in year-round energy savings.
2. Service and tune your furnace or boiler regularly for safety, efficiency and maximum energy. Tip: We recommend you follow the manufacturer's guidelines, which may include annual maintenance. Also, find a contractor who has been trained on your brand of appliance. If you have a forced air system, clean or replace the filter regularly.
3. Add or upgrade the weatherstripping around exterior doors and replace broken putty around windows. Both are inexpensive ways to keep drafts out.
4. If you are looking for a new heating system, choose a model with a rated efficiency greater than 90%. You'll save money by using less energy. Tip: If you're planning to replace your furnace for the coming winter, have it installed before the cold weather starts. You'll have more time to shop around and your contractor won't be as busy.
5. Choose an energy efficient water heater. A water heater that is well insulated or has a vent damper will save you even more money.
6. Consider upgrading the windows and insulation in your home. These options can have a lengthy payback period, but they'll help you conserve a considerable amount of energy and eliminate drafts. Call your local utility for any rebates or programs they might be offering as well.
For more energy efficiency ideas, contact Resources Canada and ask them to mail you a free edition of the Keeping The Heat In book, this is a step by step user friendly guide to help you on your way. Call 1-800-387-2000
for more certified home service providers
Shell will be on stage at the PG Home Show & Energy Fair April 26 & 27
Date: April 26 2014