Cleaning a Liquid Band-Aid Spill and Smelly Washing MachineJanuary 7, 2004
Q. I would like to get some advice regarding the following problems.
1. Some of the liquid band-aid new skin was spilled on an artificial marble counter in the bathroom. This has dried very hard and I would like to know how it could be removed safely.
2. One side of our property consists of fill, which we have been battling for some 14 years. It keeps sinking. The side steps of our house rest on this filled area and are not attached to the foundation of the house. Five years ago we had extensive footings put under these steps, which have worked as well as anything else we have tried. As a result of the recent heavy rains, the steps have again sunk off kilter. Is there a company in Greater Victoria who could adequately deal with this situation?
3. An area of the arborite counter in the kitchen is crumbling underneath the kitchen sink. Water must have been leaking from the tap. Now the underside of the arborite is crumbling. We are not in a position to put in and new counter top and the remainder of the counter is in excellent condition. What is the best approach to this problem?
4. Can you offer a suggestion as to how to sweeten the odour from the washing machine in the laundry? The machine is fairly new and it is assumed that the odour is coming from the drain not the machine itself.
1. Try heating the dried liquid solution with a hairdryer and scrape it off with a plastic knife.
2. Contact a company called Innovative in Victoria at 250-381-6180. They may be able to offer a professional solution.
3. Unfortunately, you may have to leave it as is because there is no suitable filler to put into this area. You may consider removing the sink and re caulking the rim to stop anymore water from getting underneath and making the problem worse.
4. Try to eliminate the odour by running a wash cycle (with no clothes!) using my Shell Busey Home Cleaning Formula to clean tub and drain area, once per month or so.
for more certified home service providers
Shell will be on stage at the PG Home Show & Energy Fair April 26 & 27
Date: April 26 2014