How can I reduce the amounts of my gas bill in the winterDecember 16, 2009
Q. What can I do to reduce the impact of the gas rates on my gas bill this winter?
A. Here are some suggestions to help you save energy and money:
1. Every degree that you set your thermostat lower will help you save on your heating costs. For example, set your thermostat to 20'C when you're home and to 17'C when you go to bed or when you're away from home. If you donít already have one, consider installing a programmable thermostat. Honeywell carries a full line of very user friendly models that are simple to install and program. Contact Honeywell to ensure you purchase the model that would work best for you heating system at 1-866-251-2397.
2. Service and tune your furnace or boiler regularly for safety, efficiency and maximum energy. Follow the manufacturer's guidelines, which may include annual maintenance. Also, find a contractor who has been trained on your brand of appliance. If you have a forced air system, clean or replace the filter regularly.
3. Add or upgrade the weather stripping around exterior doors and replace broken caulking around windows. Both are inexpensive ways to keep drafts out.
4. If you are looking for a new heating system, choose a high efficiency model with a rated efficiency greater than 90%.
5. Choose an energy efficient water heater. Consider installing a Tankless Hot Water Heater; also known as Instantaneous or Demand Water Heater. While conventional water heaters store heated water in a tank, tankless heaters heat water on demand, saving the energy used to keep the tank warm.
6. Consider upgrading windows and insulation in your home to increase comfort and save energy.
for more certified home service providers