How to prepare new and old concrete or patio stones for sealingJune 20, 2007
Q: Shell, I have a new concrete driveway and feel it is time to seal it and I have older concrete patio in back as well an area of patio stones and would like the proper procedure to seal and protect all the surfaces.
A: Lets start with the new concrete and patio stones;
Before sealing you must acid wash the surface to etch the cement to enhance penetration of the sealer.
Use a solvent based concrete sealer for the initial application; 2-3 years down the road, acrylic coatings may be used.
If badly stained (blotchy), follow brightening procedure before sealing.
If concrete has never been sealed but comes clean after use of Shell Busey Home Cleaning Formula, proceed with the following:
* Acid wash the surface, using 2/3 water & 1/3 Muriatic Acid, be sure to add the acid to the water, NOT the other way around.
* Allow to sit until a foaming action occurs, scrub with a stiff bristle brush and then rinse and allow to dry.
* It is best to apply the sealers using a low-pressure garden sprayer, or puddle on the surface and spread with a 10mm roller.
Caution: Wear safety glasses, clothing & rubber gloves when working with Muriatic Acid.
DO NOT DO THIS PROJECT IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT
- Many ways to keep out UV danger - The Province, June 16th, 2013
- Chimney repointing pointers - The Province, June 9th, 2013
- Concrete facts will ensure summer project succeeds - The Province, June 2nd, 2013
- Use smarts around asbestos - The Province, May 26th, 2013
- Tips to get new life out of your old deck - The Province, May 19th, 2013
for more certified home service providers
We are happy to be a drop-off location for Ruben's Shoes.
Date: April 9 2013
6TH ANNUAL SUMMER SIZZLE RIDE FOR TYPE 1 JUVENILE DIABETES
Date: June 21 2013
Every Sunday @ 10AM PST - Watch and listen to Shell in studio answering your email questions!
Date: June 23 2013