Fall Lawn and Garden ChecklistOctober 2, 2009
With cold weather approaching, Fall is a great time to prepare and maintain your landscaping for the upcoming winter season.
- Prune shrubs and plants away from exterior siding. Cut back and dead head bedding plants and summer blooming shrubs.
- Begin Planting trees, shrubs, perennials and spring-flowering bulbs. Daffodils, tulips, hyacinths, crocus and iris are all excellent choices for spring color.
- Divide summer and spring blooming perennials.
- Clear beds of annuals by the end of October.
- Fall is still a great time to add color. Plant pansies, snapdragons,mums, kale and other fall bedding plants.
- Irrigate when needed, but slowly reduce watering so plants get ready for winter. Don’t forget to water plants close to the house or under rooflines.
- Fertilize plants and lawns with organic or slow-release fertilizer.
- Check soil and add lime if required.
- Give the entire lawn a thorough raking to remove all leaves and debris that may have accumulated over the summer.
- It is a good idea to aerate lawns. Aeration pulls small bits of soil from the lawn which allows more water, air and nutrients to circulate through the soil. Aerators are available to rent.
- Give the lawn one final mowing before the start of winter.
- Reseed bare patches of grass.
- Apply a dormant oil to deciduous trees and shrubs as soon as they drop their leaves. This will kill over wintering insects and fungus. Another application should be applied in late February.
- Mulch around trees and shrubs to protect the roots from freezing. This gives them a little more insulation and holds in moisture longer during dry spells.
- Increase organic matter in beds: This will aid the soil to hold nutrients and loosen heavy/compacted soil, allowing water and air to enter and helps control weeds.
- Bring all tropical patio plants indoors; check them for pests before bringing inside.
for more certified home service providers
Heritage walking tours, workshops and lectures all coming up in the next two weeks
Date: April 15 2014
Shell will be on stage at the PG Home Show & Energy Fair April 26 & 27
Date: April 26 2014
Shell on Location at the 3rd Annual 50+ EXPO FREE ADMISSION
Date: May 10 2014